300g Self raising flour
225g Plain flour
3 teaspoons Cinnamon (ground)
2 teaspoons Nutmeg (ground)
220g Light Muscovado sugar
220g Golden caster sugar
300g Carrots (grated)
100g Pistachios (roughly chopped)
300ml Vegetable oil
5 Eggs (lightly beaten)
350g Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
250g Golden icing sugar (sifted)
100g Carrot jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180C or the equivalent.
2. Grease and line a 25cm spring form round cake tin with baking parchment.
3. Sift the flours and spices into a large bowl and stir in the sugars, carrot, sultanas and pistachios.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, eggs, yogurt and vanilla extract.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently to just combine. Be careful not to overwork the mixture as it can make the cake heavy and dense.
6. Pour the mixture into the tin and smooth over the top.
7. Bake in the centre of the oven for 2 hours, or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack for 15 minutes before turning out and allowing to cool completely.
9. When the cake is cool, make the icing by whisking the mascarpone and icing sugar together until smooth and fully combined.
10. Use a bread knife to carefully split the cake in half.
11. Spread the carrot jam over the bottom half of the cake and then spread a third of the mascarpone frosting over this.
12. Sandwich the cake halves together and ice the top of the cake with the remaining frosting, leaving the sides naked. Drizzle with a little extra carrot jam if wished.