Adapted from Every Grain of Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop
This recipe is a takeout menu staple, but this homemade version is definitely food fit for an emperor! It is a colourful, fragrant mixture of rice with diced meats, seafood and vegetables. This version is far better than a takeout and is ready in a fraction of the time.
100g Cooked chicken
4 Spring onions
5 tablespoons Wok oil
50g Frozen peas
50g Roast peppers
2 teaspoons Shoaxing wine
100ml Chicken stock
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
600g Cooked rice (long grain or basmati)
50g Fresh coriander
1. Cut the chicken and bacon into small dice.
2. Finely slice the spring onions and roast peppers.
3. Beat the eggs.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of wok oil in a seasoned wok over a high flame.
5. Add the raw bacon to the wok and stir-fry until cooked.
6. Add the chicken, spring onions, shrimps, peas and peppers and stir-fry until everything is hot and sizzling.
7. Add the Shoaling wine and stock and bring to the boil then pour off into a bowl.
8. Rinse and dry the wok and return to the heat. Add the remaining wok oil.
9. When the oil is hot add the beaten eggs and swirl around the base of the wok.
10. When the egg is half cooked add the rice and stir-fry using a wok scoop to break up any lumps of rice.
11. When the rice is very hot and smells fragrant, it will also make a popping sound around the edges of the wok at this point, add the bowlful of prepared ingredients.
12. Mix well for another couple of minutes before stirring through the coriander and serving.