Sticky Gingerbread Tray Bake
Sweet, sticky, spiced, gingerbread. Reminiscent of Christmas but perfect any time of year.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- 150g unsalted butter
- 125g dark muscovado sugar
- 250g golden syrup
- 150g black treacle or molasses
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped stem ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 250ml whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, dissolved in 30ml warm water
- 300g plain flour
- 1. Preheat the oven to 170C and line a roasting tin or ovenproof dish (about 30cm x 20cm x 5cm) with baking parchment.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat along with the sugar, syrup, treacle, stem ginger and spices.
- 3. Take off the heat, and add the milk, eggs and dissolved bicarbonate of soda in its water.
- 4. Measure the flour into a bowl and pour in the liquid ingredients, beating until well mixed. It will be a very liquid batter but don’t worry. This is part of what makes it sticky later.
- 5. Pour it into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until risen and firm on top. Try not to overcook, as it is nicer a little stickier, and anyway will carry on cooking as it cools.
- 6. Transfer the tin to a cake rack and let the gingerbread cool in the tin before cutting into 20 squares.
I’m happy enough to leave this sweet, sticky, spiced gingerbread, unfrosted, just left plain in a delightfully simple bake, but if the mood takes you can make a contrasting icing by sieving icing sugar and mixing it till thick and spreadable with a tablespoon of orange juice and one of warm water. Spread this over the cold slab of gingerbread, and leave to set before cutting.
Nutritional Info automatically completed from Recipe Generator.
Copyright Georgina Ingham | Culinary Travels
Did you make this recipe?